10 years experience in web file management
and multiple file upload solutions
Product related news:
OfficeOpen control for and online editing in MS Office and OpenOffice.org (WEBDAV)OfficeOpen control is a multipurpose web based control that automatically opens and gives the possibility to edit documents on-line in desktop applications Microsoft office and free OpenOffice.org. OfficeOpen control supports built-in function of Microsoft office and OpenOffice.org to edit and create documents online (WEBDAV). With the help of OfficeOpen control your website visitors will be able to see and edit the documents located on server with one click online. They will not need to download files and then upload them back after editing. Users also can upload new documents to your site from office application or map web folder to own OS. More than 50 formats of documents, spreadsheet, presentations, databases and image file formats are supported (view whole list of formats).
Live demo (will be open in new window)
How helpful is OfficeOpen control to users?
Element-IT software also offers Web Based file manager with online Edit at Microsoft Office and OpenOffice feature.
- Opens a document for editing on user’s computer with one click.
- Saves a modified document with one click and informs about the result.
- Supports the most famous formats for viewing and editing documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and data bases: doc, docx, xls, xlsx, ppt, rtf, odt, ods, odp, html, rtf and etc.
- Supports popular image file formats for editing in OpenOffice Draw: jpg, bmp, gif, png, tif.
- Possibility to use absolutely free for users OpenOffice.org or commercial Microsoft Office.
- Users can create new document and save it to your web site without visiting your site (Use the path to save "http://yoursite.com/docsfolder/filename.ext").
- Possibility to save documents in different format or with different file name (Save As). All format conversions for MS Office and OpenOffice.org are available.
- Joint operation with documents: lock/unlock actions are supported for MS Office and OpenOffice.org (This functionality is expected in 3.6 release but it has already implemented in some alternative builds). A file is not available for editing if another user is working with it at the moment. The user will get a message just after the file will be available.
- Possibility to map folder at server as web folder to own OS. Users can work with online files the same as local: modify, copy, cut, paste, create subfolders.
- Security. OfficeOpen control supports file transfer via SSL and it also can use Windows authentication.
List of supported file formats (All OpenOffice.org and MS Office formats):
- OpenOffice.org formats: odt, ott, oth, and, odm, sxw, stw, sxg, doc, dot, xml, docx, docm, dotx, dotm, wpd, wps, rtf, txt, csv, sdw, sgl, vor, uot, uof, jtd, jtt, hwp, 602, pdb, psw, ods, ots, sxc, stc, xls, xlw, xlt, xlsx, xlsm, xltx, xltm, xlsb, wk1, wks, 123, dif, csv, sdc, vor, dbf, slk, uos, uof, pxl, wb2, odp, odg, otp, sxi, sti, ppt, pps, pot, pptx, pptm, potx, potm, sda, sdd, sdp, vor, uop, uof, cgm, pdf, bmp, jpeg, jpg, pcx, psd, sgv, wmf, dxf, met, pgm, ras, svm, xbm, emf, pbm, plt, sda, tga, xpm, eps, pcd, png, sdd, tif, tiff, gif, pct, ppm, sgf, vor
- OpenOffice.org Draw images formats: gif, tif, tiff, png, jpg, jpeg, bmp
- MS Word formats: doc, docx, docm, htm, html, odt, pdf, rtf, txt, wps, xml, xml,xps, dot, dotm, dotx, mht, mhtml
- MS Excel formats: xls, ods, csv, dbf, dif, prn, slk, xla, xlam, xlsb, xlsm, xlsx, xlt, xltm, xltx, xlw, xml, xml, xps
- MS Powerpoint formats: emf, odp, pdf, pot, potm, potx, ppa, ppam, pps, ppsm, ppsx, ppt, pptm, pptx, pptx, rtf, thmx, tif, wmf, xml, xps
- MS FrontPage formats: btr, dwt, elm, fwp, htx, mso
- MS Access formats: accda, accdb, accdc, accde, accdp, accdr, accdt, accdu, ade, adp, maf, mam, maq, mar, mat, mda, mdb, mde, mdt, mdw, laccdb, snp
- MS Outlook formats: obi, oft, ost, prf, pst, msg, oab, iaf
OfficeOpen control consists of the following parts:
- PHP and ASP.NET. It is a server code that implements file view on server (optional) and supports documents transfer and their accepting for client-side Microsoft office and OpenOffice.org (WEBDAV).
OfficeOpen control in comparison with online services for editing documents.
|Comparision||OfficeOpen control||Online services|
|Price||You pay once for unlimited quantity of users/sessions.||Most demand monthly license fee for each user or session. For example, a popular online service costs $1 per month for a user. If you buy OfficeOpen control and you have 500 users, you will cover the expenses in a month.|
|Facilities and work speed||Uses desktop applications MS Office and OpenOffice.org, which are popular and reliable, have a huge range of functions for work with documents and high speed of performance.||Support only limited quantity of formats and functions, start and work much slower.|
|Browsers support||Supports most of browsers and any versions including older ones.||Do not support older versions of browsers or seldom used type of browsers.|
|Work with documents on your server||Designed to work with documents on your server||Support only work with files on their servers or offer complicated API for file transfer from your server.|
|Programming skill||You do not need programming skill for installation and setting the OfficeOpen control. More detailed information on how to install the application is described in manual.||Often demand work of a programmer for setting the API file transfer from your server or user authentication.|
|Joint operation||Joint operation with a document (lock/unlock).||lock/unlock is impossible in some online services or it demands the realization of a complicated API|
|Custom modifications||Constantly modified also due to a client’s order for particular needs. We make some changes in code immediately and absolutely free. You do not need to wait for an official release.||You do not need to wait for an official release. Online services cannot be changed for your personal needs and they are the same for everybody.|
|Document creation and edit without visiting website||Allows to create and upload new document without visiting website. Also if link to existing document is known then visiting website is also not required.||Online services demand user login to website.|
|Maping web folder||Allows to users to map folder at the server as web folder in own OS.||Online services don't supports maping.|